(Tamarind Beef) Servas 4 - 6
- 650 gm topside steak
- 6 dried chillies - soaked
- 10 shallots - chopped
- 3 cm piece ginger
- 4 candlenuts
- 1 tsp dried shrimp paste
- half tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsps oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsps tamarind
- sugar and salt to taste
- 1 fresh red chilli - finely sliced
- 1 green chilli - finely sliced
- Cut beef into small pieces
- chop or mince dried chillies, shallots and grind
to a paste with candlenuts, dried shrimp paste
- Heat oil in a large pan and fry seasonings for 5
minutes, stirring constantly.
- Put in the beef and turn several times to
thoroughly coat the meat pieces with the
- Fry until well browned.
- Soak tamarind in water, squeeze out the juice and
strain into the meat.
- Bring to the boil and add salt and sugar to
taste. Turn the heat down and simmer until beef
is very tender and the gravy slightly reduced.
- Remove beef and arrange on a platter. Pour on a
little of the sauce.
- Serve garnished with the sliced red and green