- 30 dried chillies
- 120 gm shallots
- 4 red chillies
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cm piece ginger
- 3 stalks lemon grass - sliced thinly
- 4 slices galangal - ground
- 5 candlenuts
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 kg rump steak
- 1 stalk lemon grass - whole
- 120 gm grated coconut - fried and pounded
- 2 tsps curry powder - blended with 2 tsps water
- half cup thick coconut milk
- 8 tbsps oil
- Grind together the dried chillies, shallots,
fresh chillies, garlic and ginger. Heat oil and
fry ground ingredients and curry until fragrant.
- Add in half the coconut milk and fry until the
- Add in the soy sauce, salt, sugar and the steak.
Add in also the fried grated coconut and lemon
grass. Stir-fry for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the rest of the coconut milk and simmer
until the meat is tender, for about an hour.
- Increase heat to reduce gravy until it is thick