Ayam Rendang Santan
(Chicken Stew in Coconut Milk) Serves 6 - 8
- 1 chicken
- 5 cm piece ginger
- 3 red chillies - cut lengthways
- 6 shallots
- thumb sized piece shrimp paste
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 2 cups thin coconut milk
- 3 stalks lemon grass - crushed
- 4 Belimbing (Carambola - optional)
- half tbsp sugar
- half cup oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- salt to taste
- Clean the chicken and remove the skin. Cut into
medium sized pieces.
- Heat the oil and fry the shallots and chillies
until the shallots turn golden brown.
- Crumble the shrimp paste and add in.
- Add the chicken pieces, lemon grass, 3 cups water
and thick coconut milk. Bring to the boil.
- When the chicken is almost cooked, add the
Belimbing, sugar and thin coconut milk. Bring to
- Lower the heat and simmer until the chicken is
really tender and the oil separates.
Carambola is sometimes better known as "Star