Ayam Masak Tomat
(Chicken in Tomato Sauce) Serves 6 - 8
- 1 chicken
- 30 dried red chillies
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 large onions - sliced
- 6 shallots
- 2 tomatoes - sliced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 5 cm piece ginger
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 cm piece cinnamon stick
- half cup oil
- 2 cups thick coconut milk
- 2 cups green peas
- 3 cloves
- 2 tsps turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- Clean the chicken and cut into bite sized pieces.
Drain and mix well with salt and turmeric powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the chicken pieces
- Grind the dried chillies until fine. Pound the
shallots and ginger.
- Heat 3 tbsps oil and fry the ground chillies,
pounded shallots and ginger, cloves and star
- Add coconut milk and bring to boil.
- Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir
- Add in the fried chicken pieces. Simmer for five
- Add in the sliced onions, tomatoes and green
- Turn the chicken pieces to mix well with the