Ayam Masak Kecap
(Chicken in Soy Sauce) Serves 6 - 8
- 1 chicken
- 5 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cm piece ginger
- 2 red chillies - sliced lengthways
- 4 tsps thick soy sauce
- 1 large onion - sliced into thick rings
- 1 lime
- 2 tsps turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Clean the chicken and cut into bite sized pieces.
Mix with salt and turmeric powder.
- Pound together garlic, ginger and shallots.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and fry the chicken pieces
untill crispy. Drain off the oil but leave 2
tbsps in the pan. Fry the pounded ingredients in
this oil until fragrant.
- Add the soy sauce and chicken pieces and mix
- Add the onion rings and chillies and, just before
serving, squeeze the limejuice over.
- If you want more gravy you can add half cup water
and bring to the boil before adding the chicken